Monday, April 6, 2009

No Crusades, Though

Yesterday, the girlfriend and I went to Raseborg Castle. The fun started when I discovered that it is in a village called... Snappertuna. I love this country.


The first record of the castle being mentioned was in 1378. It used to be situated directly on the shore, and the castle was used as an outpost against pirates! Finland is rising from the sea, and so what used to be on the coast is now inland. This used to be the sea:


I'll shut up now and just get on with the castle pictures.














10 comments:

  1. Superb post. I'm in the market for a castle for an NPC of mine but I'm not a patient enough googler. I'll enjoy doing some floor plans for that beauty.

    Can you say how far the coastline has receded? How much above sea level is that ground in the picture now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pics! This styles seems to be more functional and straightforward than some of the castles I've seen touring Scotland and Great Britain. Are there many other examples of this style in Finland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Hm, I like this post s lot, I'm going to have to steal this idea for my blog. I haven't been to a castle before, but there are some ruins and sick trails on the island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pics! Central Illinois' supply of castles is pretty slight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty sweet. My mom grew up right next to Stirling castle in Scotland, and as a kid I got to go there on vacations and play all over the castle with my cousins. Even at night. Way spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James - Very cool. Thanks for posting the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got an excellent eye for taking photos. Excellent work Jim! I mean, this is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you had a SLR and an external flash with it, you could have easily taken pictures without the problems of overexposure/underexposure of some parts of the pics. The cheapest and easiest way to get softer flash on your pics is just to use a piece of white A4 paper, and put it over the flash. Leave some centimeters though so the light will split evenly.

    ReplyDelete