Monday, September 5, 2011

This Was Only a Test...

I ran The Monolith from beyond Space and Time for the first time yesterday in a hallway at Tracon.

It featured characters wondering whether suicide was the answer to a dilemma, leaving the key adventure area two weeks before they entered, getting attacked lots and lots by an enemy that didn't exist, and ended up with two characters killing each other over whether they should eat the brains from the head in the jar or not, and one character ended up in the Forgotten Realms.

In other words, a great success.

I'll need to run this one lots more, as the key to making this a success as an adventure will be clearly explaining all the weird situations and possibilities the Monolith allows.

I think I've said before that when I playtest an adventure, I'm not looking for what I need to change mechanically or balance-wise, but rather discovering what players are likely to do within the adventure and make sure that the module includes enough information about the setting/situations to handle it.

Next run of the adventure will be at Stockholms Spelkonvent. Be there!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! And relievedly different from what my wife & I are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd rather eat brains than end up in forgotten realms again. Oh, the horror, the HORROR!

    This module sounds amazing! If you are doing online playtests, how do I get in on them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. one character ended up in the Forgotten Realms.

    That is truly the most horrifying fate of all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Next run of the adventure will be at Stockholms Spelkonvent. Be there!"
    Wish I could.

    ReplyDelete