Friday, June 18, 2010

Tracon Presentation: July 4 2pm

So the Tracon schedule is out, and somebody decided to let the American speak on Independence Day. :D

The (literal) translation of the description for my presentation:

The cultural flow called old school renaissance is one of the most exciting phenomena in table-top role playing. Old school role playing is about the 70s first generation of role playing games and the ideas they take from war gaming culture. There are grumpy-grognards who never stopped playing the first edition of D&D as well as young, experimental game designers who get excited about the philosophy and approaches which were overridden by the 80's drama gaming culture. The subject of this lecture is to get familiar with the OSR phenomenon on general level and go through some good sources for information to start learning more about it. Notice: The program is in English!

Whoever wrote this must not be aware that I'm a fourth-waver who got in on Mentzer. :D

While I will give a timeline of early D&D, I plan on talking more about the Renaissance in the 2000s more than any play styles of the 1970s.

4 comments:

  1. Come to Polish / Czech Tricon :-)
    http://tricon.info/?lang=en

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote that description, actually. The Plan was that I'd spread nasty and baseless slander about the OSR in that lecture slot if James wouldn't agree to come and save the lecture from my evil rpg theorist ways. Seems to have worked, considering his decision to come to the convention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super, wish I could see it... Youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like it to be taped but I don't have a video camera.

    Can Tracon set that up?

    ReplyDelete