Friday, March 26, 2010

Feeling Like a Kid Again (non-RPG post)

Well, at least like a late teenager.

I got interested in music late - after graduating high school.

The first band I ever anticipated buying a new album from was Cathedral in the summer of 1993. I was 18 at the time (oh man, that's just about half my life ago!). The Ethereal Mirror was and is an awesome album.

Today is the release date for Cathedral's new album The Guessing Game. Double album!

In a half hour I'll be heading down to Keltainen Jäänsärkija, Helsinki's finest record store, to buy it.

They better have it, dammit.

And it better be good. I haven't heard a note. I find previewing an album I'm already planning to buy completely destroys the experience of the first listen.

5 comments:

  1. Denied! March 26 is the general European release date, but I was told it'll be out in Finland on the 31st.

    I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait. I can wait.

    Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh midnight mountain!

    it's disco, it's doom - are they still like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess we will call your "first anticipated album" from Cathedral, but I seemed to recall from middle school days anticipation of far more saccharine releases... I won't begrudge your revisionism old friend! Eh, it may be semantics over the true meaning of "anticipated"!

    Don't kill me for referencing our times together in circa-1988-ish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my favorite bands fall in the doom category. I have been looking forward to Cathedral's new one as well. It has been interesting to follow their career, and watch their style change from album to album. The Ethereal Mirror strikes me as great amalgam of all their different phases on one disc. I can't wait to hear the new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>I seemed to recall from middle school days anticipation of far more saccharine releases

    I certainly had other favorite bands earlier than 1993, but I really remember it all as hearing a song on the radio/seeing a video on MTV and then just maybe getting the tape that was already out. I didn't have such a big music collection in my pre-metal days, and don't remember making sure to be at the record store on day of release for anything.

    As far as my memory goes, the first time I did that was for Cathedral. :D

    ReplyDelete