Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hail to England!

Cue the Manowar!


Dragonmeet was a smashing success, with very nearly double last years' sales.


Vornheim has officially cracked the 1000 print sales barrier!


Oh, see this post from Zak? If we're talking a good-sized project (64+ page) I split the profits with the writer. He really has made as much as he's said (and has another big fat pile of cash coming from this quarter-in-progress sales).


(.02€/word or 35% profit I think is the figure, your choice, for 32 page or less items... the income is a lot less on smaller projects but my aggravation on the publishing side is just as much as the larger projects, so...)


Two things you get from this info: One, when you buy Vornheim or Carcosa or Isle of the Unknown, the authors are getting paid just as much as I am. That is true for damn few publishers out there.


Two, I'm going to invest more money into your book to make it as nice and cool it can be, and work to promote it, and work to distribute it, more than you are going to and more than most will. Yes, I am a small publisher and I have my limits (nothing has appeared since April because all my resources were tied up with Carcosa and Isle for a long damn time), I can only take on so many projects, and I'm picky, but if you have an idea that might fit with LotFP, maybe you should run it by me and see what we can do.


OK, third thing you should know, there's no guarantees with this system, if sales fall flat on their ass, you don't get anything, but then you didn't risk anything except time an effort. The financial fallout is all mine.


Is that an insane publishing model? Perhaps. But I talked to way too many bands in my time doing my metal zine that were getting absolutely fucked, making money hand over fist for their label yet not able to feed themselves off the exact same record sales. I don't play that way.


It's worked out well so far. I'll stop it only when I have to. And that's entirely up to you guys that buy the stuff.


(no, artists and such don't get a percentage because their work is going to be based on and support the writing. But they still get big piles of cash when appropriate... you don't want to know the Carcosa and Isle art budgets.)


Anyway, I'm off to eat and then to bed... 6am flight tomorrow... BACK TO FINLAND!

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations James and Zak on the Vornheim milestone. And thank you James for giving the finger, by just doing your stuff, to all the naysayers and gutter critics who talk a lot of shit, but do fuck all for the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it all went well; and it was nice to meet and have a brief chat with you at the 'meet. The Isle proofs looked good, and I am looking forward to the two books coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really good to meet you at Dragonmeet today. I just about ruptured myself carrying The Tome of Horrors home, but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one James :) Eagerly looking forward to the new Carcosa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After working with James Raggi for many months getting Carcosa and Isle of the Unknown into publication, I can unhesitatingly say that I have only praise for James. In no particular order:

    1. My financial risk is ZERO. James really walks the walk. He puts his money where his mouth is. He invests untold thousands of dollars in the products he publishes. He is the exact opposite of the stereotypical whining, griping internet loser. He is the torch-bearer for coolness in the OSR.

    2. Throughout the process, James consistently asked my opinions and advice on every imaginable aspect of my books--layout, font, colors, art, you-name-it. Compare that to many publishers who take your manuscript and then make all the decisions regarding the book without even asking your opinions.

    3. Nothing could be fairer than James's profit-sharing business model. He and I will make EXACTLY the same amount of money on my books. If he makes nothing, I make nothing. If he makes $1,000, I make $1,000. If he makes $8,000, I make $8,000, etc. And remember that he takes all the financial risks. Compare that to some publishers who will (for example) give you $200 for your manuscript and THAT'S IT.

    4. I, the author, keep my copyright over both my books. Compare that to the $200 publishers (mentioned in point 3) who own the copyright to what the author wrote.

    Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a pretty cool business model. As a customer I can say that both Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Vornheim are among the best rpg products I've ever owned. Most rpg books are poorly made and the binding starts to crack after a few uses--not these products. The layout is unique and the artwork is of a high standard (though not to everybody's taste, but that's something different entirely).

    I think it's a great business model because it will attract top writers and designers. I hope you end up with far more work than you can handle and have to hire other people to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, we are watching you James. We all know how tempting it is to make midgets dance for pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you at Dragonmeet yesterday. I'll put some photos from the show up my blog later today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're all crap and I hate you and making good things is bad!






    (sorry, just figured I might as well drop the other shoe before one of the usual suspects does)

    ReplyDelete
  11. But Geoffrey, you are a genius. Zak is a genius too. Jim is generous with the likes of you and Zak because as a businessman he knows nothing motivates a genius more than a fair rate of pay for a hard days work.

    What about the little people, the bloggers with their babbles and scribbles. Should they too be paid fairly for their troubles?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why not? What if there was a system where you could commission a blog post for like fifty cents? Seriously. I think it would be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or some sort of print archive of the best blog posts from around the blogosphere. While I'm sure many would dismiss it as masturbatory, enough material gets lost that I would actually be grateful for a digest format of interesting posts from different blogs. Selection and pay and all that would make it a bitch to sort out. I'd be curious to know if people would feel ripped off if their posts were printed with permission for a one time purchase of like ten bucks. Most people seem happy to be in Fight On! for free.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure. I would happily scrutinise Zak's (or anyone else's) blog for ¢1 per word of his posts which are usually too long to read without being paid. The rejoinder insouciant and the tart retort would distinguish my earnest and helpful remarks. The important thing is to get paid like Jim, Geoff and Zak.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "The Sign of the Hammer's our guide,Forever where fighting the world, side by side!"

    ERIC!

    P.S. Sorry I just love True Metal!

    ReplyDelete