Saturday, January 15, 2011

You Find the Most Interesting Things When You Read CDs

I ordered Atlantean Kodex's The Golden Bough (2010, Cruz del Sur Music) through a local record store, and I was able to pick it up yesterday. I've only listened to it once so far so I can't say much about it other than it is in the same style as 2007's The Pnakotic Demos.

I did take the opportunity, after watching Creepshow 2 again after a decade or two ("I beat you! I BEAT YOU!!!"), to browse the liner notes. An interesting bit:

The Golden Bough
is dedicated to 12,000 years of European mythology,
and to the spirit of underground metal proudly defying progress.

1 comment:

  1. I would never have thought of it that way before but I guess you can say Sir James Frazer's great book could be seen as metal. What with its obsession to death cults.

    "The germ for Frazer's thesis was the pre-Roman priest-king at the fane of Nemi, who was murdered ritually by his successor:

    "When I first put pen to paper to write The Golden Bough I had no conception of the magnitude of the voyage on which I was embarking; I thought only to explain a single rule of an ancient Italian priesthood." (Aftermath p vi) "

    Originally the was a 12 volume book. Bought a condensed volume a few years ago from 1930 that was 750 or so pages.

    At this point the links he's made have proven to be very poor anthro but have held up as a story,IMO.

    Not sure if there is anything more metal then a book about tracing a pre-Roman cult ritualistic priest-king killings and how it supposedly effected and was effected by religious traditions.

    ReplyDelete