Monday, January 10, 2011

Great. Now the Text is Going to Get Me in Trouble, Too

So I had a late idea (looks like there will be a good amount of gaming between now and press time to try it out, so why not?) about a spell, and from that idea led to the realization that a screwed up summoning can call forth a concept rather than a thing was fun.

Coming up with suitably dark concepts was interesting, especially since I was looking for just little evil phrases and not thinking about game mechanics at the time.

But now I'm writing down what they do.

And that's just turning bizarre. (it doesn't help that I've also started watching The Prisoner for the first time ever...) The effects need to be severe, they need to be nasty - this is a screwed up extra-dimensional summoning in a fantasy-horror game.

As it turns out, discovering what effects things like "Memories of Pre-Conception" and "Lust of a Betrayed Lover" have is leading me to some pretty unpleasant places.

And it does feel like I am discovering rather than inventing. Which is always a good sign.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of Summoning spells coming up with strange things now and then. Especially on a critical failure ... and can you really handle a critical success?!

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what you are discovering but those consepts sure sound ominous, which is great.

    ReplyDelete