Tuesday, February 3, 2009

... and while I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a pony.

So I'm thinking, "I'm shit at promotion." Because I really want the creature generator to get out there. I want Insect Shrine to actually break even when it's released. I have some other irons in the fire as well. I really don't want to go the pdf micro-release route (my "profit" concerns there would be keeping my printer fully stocked with ink) because I like real things, but developing a small catalog of such things seems to be the way small publishing outfits stake a real customer claim. Not that I really like seeing myself as a publishing outfit, but I do want to release stuff that costs money to release so I want people to buy it, so some thought into the matter is probably necessary. And I'm living with someone, and you know girls... they have this allergy to piles cardboard boxes filled with multiple copies of the same book. So maybe I should avoid that as much as possible.

Along those lines, this morning I'm laying in bed thinking, "Why haven't I been on some gaming podcast?" I'd be a great guest, with all the weird stuff that just kind of falls out of my mouth. And talking is so much easier than writing.

I don't know if it would be real promotion or just a train wreck circus, but when I'm holding court, the "boring" box is not something people usually check on the customer comment card.

3 comments:

  1. "I don't know if it would be real promotion or just a train wreck circus..."

    What was that old saw about there being no such thing as bad publicity? Do it! The world needs regular fresh facefuls of J.E.Raggi(4th).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking, "I'd like someone with an existing podcast to have me on," than "I will start a podcast myself!"

    Doing one myself would just be like the blog, except unedited, unorganized, halfway incoherent, and blleehhh. If someone's asking me questions and directing traffic, that might be something.

    So this blog was just a little pathetic, "I'm available!" notice.

    If I was going to do my own podcast, it would be for interviewing people... but that sounds like work, and I already have enough I should be doing that I'm not. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. So why not smack together some PDFs, publish them through LuLu, and then sign on with http://stores.lulu.com/oldschoolren ?

    That way you can deliver your real things (I just bought the real S&W White Box and Fight On! 1-3), those people who prefer softcopy can buy 'em, and, as far as I can tell, the hassles of actually producing the damn things belong to someone else.

    ReplyDelete